Tuesday, August 21, 2007

What's For Dinner?

Well I didn't have anything to share with you today, but I didn't want you to think I'm neglecting you either. So I decided to show you what we had for dinner tonight. Is that exciting or what? I cook everything on the grill. My motto is, if you can cook it in the oven or on the stove then you can cook it on the grill. I've even baked biscuits on the grill. So, tonight we had what I call Mexican fish, it's tortilla crusted Tilapia, and grilled Brussels Sprouts. Yum! Was it ever good! I opened a carton of cottage cheese to go with it since we don't eat a lot of potatoes. For dessert we had sugar free strawberry jello with fat free whipped topping, can you see a pattern going on here? When you get to a certain age you have to start cutting out all the good stuff like sugar, fat and starches.
Yesterday I went to my doctor for a problem I've been having and this is what he said I have, Interstitial Cystitis. It seems this condition cannot be cured but can be treated. I have to go to a Urologist for a test that I'm not looking forward to. If you check this out on-line you'll see why. That's it for today. Thanks for stopping in...........Rita
*******************************************************************
You're over the hill when the rock stars you used to idolize are now potbellied and gray.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rita,

Your post came up in my google alerts for interstitial cystitis which is why I"m replying.

I'm sorry to hear about your potential diagnosis of IC but the great news is that you are not alone. There are tens of thousands of men and women with IC who share these symptoms.

You might want to come check out our IC Support website at: http://www.ic-network.com/

And... most importantly... the first step towards managing IC is to modify your diet so that you are not accidentally making your bladder worse.

Remember, IC is basically an injury to the bladder, kind of like a skinned knees. IC bladders tend to have lots of little tiny wounds... that can be the result of an accident, UTI, chemo... all sorts of things. But, for many patients, it's often the result of diet... specifically a diet heavy in coffees or sodas, particularly diet sodas or artificial sugars which are so acidic and irritating that they basically start disrupting the bladder lining.

Check for the top five list of forbidden foods here:
http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/diet.html

Also.... you might find these new study very interesting... just to share with your friends.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight

Hopefully, you'll be one of those patients whose symptoms dramatically improve just by modifying your diet. But, remember, even one cup of coffee a day is so devastating to the bladder that it may actually prevent healing.

As to therapies, a good place to start is our online patient handbook
http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

But, you might also want to consider buying a book called the IC Survival Guide by Robert Moldwin, MD. This is the book that you bring with you to every doctors appointment to help credibility check treatment proposals and to review the pros and cons of various therapies.

http://www.icnsales.com/Interstitial-Cystitis-Essentials-IC-Survival-Guide-by-Dr.-Moldwin-p-1-c-11.html

Good luck!

Jill O.
IC

Deborah said...

I thought normal cystitis was bad enough. My condolences to you.

Here's what my doctor told me.

Drink, drink, drink a ton of water.